GATE 2021 will be organized jointly by the IISc, Bangalore and seven IITs for admission in different master’s and doctorate programs offered by the government and private college/universities in the country. Interested candidates can apply for the exam by filling the online application form through GOAPS portal. The application form of GATE exam has been released by 12th September 2020.
Before heading to the form, candidates should check their eligibility status to ensure they fit the requirements needed for the course in which they seek admission. GATE score is also considered by many PSUs for recruitment in different posts. Candidates should note that the GATE score will be valid for three years from the date of announcement of results. GATE 2021 will be conducted in online mode and the duration of the exam will be 3 hours.
GATE 2021 application form has been released by 12th September 2020.
GATE 2021 is confimed to be held on 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 14th February 2021. Read press release below.
It’s confirmed officially that IIT Bombay will organize GATE exam in 2021.
The official dates for GATE exam are provided below-
|Availability of online form|
|Last date to submit the online form||30th September 2020|
|Last date to make the change in category, paper and exam city(an additional fee required)||13th Nov 2020|
|Last date to register with late fee||7th October 2020|
|Releasing of admit card||8th January 2021|
|Exam date||5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 14th February 2021|
|Releasing of answer key||3rd week of February 2021|
|Announcement of result||3rd week of March 2021|
|Releasing of scorecard||Last week of March 2021|
Changes in GATE 2021
The exam pattern for GATE 2021 examination is as follows-
- Exam mode: Online (computer-based test)
- Language: English only
- Duration: 3 hours
- Type of Questions: Objective type and numerical questions
- Total number of papers: 24 subjects/papers.
- Total number of questions: 65 questions
- Total marks: 100 marks
- Marking scheme: There will be questions carrying 1 and 2 marks.
- Negative marking: For questions carrying 1 mark, 1/3rd marks will be deducted for wrong answer. For questions carrying 2 mark, 2/3rd marks will be deducted. There is no negative marking for NAT questions.
- Number of attempts: A candidate can appear for only one of the given 24 subjects/papers.
The syllabus of GATE examination differs from discipline to discipline but it will be purely of graduation level. Here is the syllabus for some major disciplines-
- General Aptitude (common to all): English grammar, sentence completion, critical reasoning and verbal deduction, word groups, numerical reasoning, data interpretation etc.
- Chemical Engineering (CH): Engineering mathematics, process calculations and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and mechanical operations, etc.
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS): Engineering mathematics, digital logic, computer organization and architecture, programming and data structures, etc.
- Aerospace Engineering (AE): Engineering mathematics, structures, flight mechanics, space dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion.
- Civil Engineering (CE): Engineering mathematics, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, etc.
- Biotechnology (BT): Engineering mathematics, recombinant DNA technology, plant and animal biotechnology, general biotechnology etc.
- Food Technology (XL-U): Food chemistry and nutrition, food microbiology, food products technology, food engineering, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering (ME): Engineering mathematics, applied mechanics and design, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences, materials, manufacturing, and industrial engineering, etc.
- Petroleum engineering (PE): Calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex variables, probability and statistics, numerical methods, petroleum exploration, oil and gas drilling technology, reservoir engineering, petroleum production operations, oil and gas well testing, health safety and environment in petroleum industry, enhanced oil recovery techniques etc.
GATE 2021 Application form
To apply for the GATE examination, candidates have to fill the online application form for the same. The application form has been released by 12th September 2020. No other mode of filling the form shall be entertained by the authority. Candidates are required to register themselves for the exam by providing their basic details such as name, mobile number, email id, etc. After successful registration, they need to login into the GOAPS web portal to fill rest of the application form.
The details in the application form will entail personal, academic, and other relevant information. These details should be filled with extreme care. However, if by chance a candidate commits a mistake in the form, he/she can edit that information using the correction window given by the authority. Applicants should keep their documents including the scanned photograph and signature handy. The form should be submitted on or before the due date specified by the authority or else it will get rejected. Candidates must pay the required amount of application fee for the entrance examination.
For exam centers in India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Female||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|SC/ST/PWD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2000/-|
For exam centers outside India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US $ 100||US $ 120|
Note: The application fee can be paid online using the credit card, net banking and debit card.
Eligibility Criteria of GATE 2021
Candidates must fulfill the eligibility criteria as specified by the authority in order to appear for the exam. The eligibility conditions are as follows-
Nationality: Indian as well as foreign nationals can apply for the entrance examination
Educational qualification as per the qualifying degrees
|Qualifying exam||Qualifying exam/degree||Candidate’s description||Year of qualification (not later than)|
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharma||Candidates should have done B.Tech after 10+2 or hold a 3 year bachelor’s degree after B.Sc /Diploma in Engineering/Technology||Completed or appearing||2021|
|B.Arch||Candidates should have done 5 years of B.Arch course||Completed or appearing||2021|
|B.Sc (Research)/B.S||Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree in science (post-diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Completed or appearing||2021|
|Pharma.D||Candidates should have done 6 years of program including internship or residency training during 6th year||Currently in 4th/5th/ 6th year or completed||2023|
|M.Sc/M.A/MCA or equivalent||A Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Application or equivalent is required||Completed or appearing||2021|
|Integrated M.E/M.Tech or dual degree||Integrated master’s degree or dual degree in engineering/technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2022|
- The admit card for GATE 2021 can be downloaded from the official web portal of GATE i.e. GOAPS.
- The authority will not send the hall tickets to the candidates personally or otherwise.
- Candidates should take the printout copy of the hall ticket and keep it safe for future use.
- In case of discrepancy in the hall ticket, they must inform the authority immediately.
- It is mandatory for the applicants to carry the admit card (including photo ID proof) to the exam hall failing which they won’t be allowed to take the test.
- Candidates can check their result from the official website of the GOAPS.
- The authority will also release the scorecard of the candidates along with the result. Candidates can download the scorecard by login into the website.
- GATE 2021 score will be valid for duration of three years from the date of result declaration.
- Based on the scored obtained by the candidates in the exam, they can apply directly to the concerned institutes separately.
- Many private and government colleges/universities will organize their own counselling to select the candidates for admission through GATE score.